Having salt in your kitchen is a no-brainer unless you’re suffering from high blood pressure or something. After all, that’s what gives our food the savory taste we love!
There is an even healthier option than common table salt these days, and that is Himalayan rock salt . It is a rock salt extracted from mines located in the Punjab region of Pakistan. It’s all the rage among health enthusiasts, with its plethora of minerals and natural elements coexisting within its crystals. Here are some facts about Himalayan Salt Minerals that will explain why it is the hottest trend in the health industry today.
All About the Mineral Goodness of Himalayan Salt – Benefits, Facts and More
Himalayan salt owes all the hype to its numerous constituent elements. It is a popular fact that rock salt contains 84 different ‘minerals’. However, all 84 elements in natural salt are not minerals like hydrogen and oxygen. This does not mean that this salt does not deserve credit. There are several essential minerals in Himalayan pink salt after all !
Himalayan Salt Mineral Analysis
- The chemical formula of pink salt is the same as table salt. Its chemical formula is NaCl-sodium chloride.
- Sodium and chloride are essential for your body’s health. Since edible salt is mostly made up of these two, they’re an obvious — and big — part of pink Himalayan salt. Where table salt is around 99.9% sodium chloride, in pink Himalayan salt there is more room for other minerals and elements.
- Rock salt is about 98% sodium chloride. The remaining 2% of Himalayan salt is made up of different minerals and elements.
- Sodium is needed by the body for vital functions. However, do not exaggerate in salt consumption, as excess can be harmful.
- Sodium maintains fluid balance and facilitates healthy muscle and nerve function.
So what are the remaining 2%?
- Pink Himalayan salt is said to contain 0.1% magnesium, 0.28% potassium, and 0.16% calcium. These are all minerals and elements essential for basic life functions.
- Iodine: Himalayan salt contains natural iodine. This means that it does not need to be artificially treated with iodine, as is the case with table salt. Iodine is essential for the production of hormones by the thyroid gland. These hormones regulate important bodily functions.
An iodine deficiency can cause a deficiency in the production of these essential hormones. This can also lead to an enlarged thyroid gland known as a goiter. In this way, this natural salt helps to prevent goiter.
- Iron: Ever wonder how this rock salt gets its unique orange-pink color? All thanks to the traces of iron present in the salt. 38.9 ppm of this mineral is apparently enough to change the entire appearance of salt.
- Magnesium: This is another essential element that is present in Himalayan salt in a very small amount but has beneficial effects on the human body. It is very good for metabolism and also for bone formation.
- Calcium: This salt contains very little amount of calcium. Calcium is well known for its benefits to bones.
- Zinc: Another element found in Himalayan salt is zinc. It is present in every cell in the body. Helps the immune system in the fight against harmful bacteria.
- Phosphorus: Another trace element is phosphorus, which helps in the maintenance of tissues and cells in the body.
- In addition to all these elements, Himalayan salt contains trace amounts of hydrogen, boron, nitrogen, fluorine, aluminum, sulfur, chromium, manganese, cobalt, nickel, selenium, bromine, cadmium, molybdenum, and so on.
So what do these minerals do?
- Electrolyte Balance: Electrolytes are ions that help carry electrical impulses from cell to cell. In its natural form, Himalayan Salt contains sodium, chloride, potassium, magnesium, phosphate and sulfate – all electrolytes! You can drink a small amount of Himalayan salt ‘sole’ early in the morning to make the most of its mineral content.
- Aids digestion: The minerals in edible pink salt are said to aid digestion. They can potentially help your body use the foods and nutrients you eat daily in a productive way.
- Relieve aches and pains: When you have pink Himalayan salt, you should know that its use is not just limited to the kitchen! Draw a bath with this natural bath salt and soak in it for a refreshing experience.
This mineral bath is said to be able to cleanse and detoxify, while helping the skin absorb minerals to nourish itself. The mineral content can also help with bloating and water retention.
- Purify the Air: Confused how a simple rock salt can be able to purify the air? It’s possible if you do it right! In the form of the Himalayan mineral salt lamp, many claim that Himalayan salt can purify the air by releasing negative ions when the lamps are turned on. The released ions are often referred to as “vitamins of the air” thanks to the myriad of health benefits they offer.
- Energize: Part of this could be due to minerals, and part of this effect is attributed to the origin and history of Himalayan Pink Salt . This salt originates from the ancient sea and oceans billions of years ago. These dried up over time, leaving deposits of Himalayan salt as part of Khewra’s salt mines today.
Since salt has been around since ancient times, it is said to have absorbed the vibrational energy of the Sun and Earth. Many people claim that a pinch of this salt boosts their mood and gives them energy.
The final question – how to make the most of this mineral goodness?
Now that you know all the interesting facts about Himalayan pink salt minerals, you might be wanting to put as much good use of it as possible! Just be careful not to exceed the recommended daily intake when consuming the salt.
- You can sprinkle it over your food, marinate your food with it, or cook your own food over Himalayan salt blocks .
- Purchase Himalayan salt lamps for their respiratory and healing benefits, and breathe in fresher air. Bathe in salt for a nourishing and refreshing experience.
- Use it as a cellulite scrub to smooth skin over time.
- Use it with essential oils to prevent sweating – a great substitute for chemical deodorants!
- Drink a small amount of diluted solution early in the morning to maintain your energy levels throughout the day.
- Give your pets blocks of salt – they deserve love too and all the essential minerals you have for yourself!
In conclusion, the benefits of pink Himalayan salt should not be underestimated. This rare, unadulterated form of rock salt comes to you without any machining or artificial additions. Cherish this gift that nature has to offer, using it to its full potential!