Having salt in your kitchen is a good idea unless you suffer from high blood pressure or something similar. After all, that’s what gives our food the savory flavor we love!
There is an even healthier option than regular table salt these days, which is Himalayan rock salt . It is a rock salt extracted from mines in the Punjab region of Pakistan. It is all the rage among health enthusiasts, with its abundance of naturally occurring minerals and elements coexisting in the crystals. Here are a few facts about Himalayan salt minerals that explain why it is the hottest trend in the health industry today.
All about the mineral goodness of Himalayan salt – benefits, facts and more
Himalayan salt owes all the hype to its numerous constituent elements. It is a known fact that rock salt contains 84 different ‘minerals’. However, all 84 elements of the natural salt are not minerals, such as hydrogen and oxygen. This does not mean that this salt does not deserve credit. After all, there are several essential trace minerals in Pink Himalayan Salt!
Analysis of Himalayan salt minerals
- The chemical formula of pink salt is the same as that of table salt. The chemical formula is NaCl sodium chloride.
- Sodium and chloride are themselves essential to the health of your body. Since edible salt consists mainly of these two, they are an obvious – and large – component of pink Himalayan salt. Where table salt is about 99.9% sodium chloride, Himalayan pink salt has more room for other minerals and elements.
- The rock salt is about 98% sodium chloride. The remaining 2% Himalayan salt consists of various minerals and elements.
- Sodium is needed by the body for vital functions. However, do not go overboard with salt consumption, as too much can be harmful.
- Sodium maintains fluid balance and promotes the healthy functioning of muscles and nerves.
So what is the remaining 2%?
- Himalayan pink salt is said to contain 0.1% magnesium, 0.28% potassium and 0.16% calcium. These are all essential minerals and elements for basic functions in life.
- Iodine: Himalayan salt contains naturally occurring iodine. This means that it does not need to be artificially treated with iodine, as is the case with table salt. Iodine is essential for the production of hormones by the thyroid gland. These hormones regulate important bodily functions.
A deficiency in iodine can cause decreased production of these essential hormones. This can also lead to enlargement of the thyroid gland, known as a goiter. In this way, this natural salt helps prevent goiter.
- Iron: Have you ever wondered how this rock salt gets its unique orange-pink color? It’s all thanks to the trace amounts of iron present in the salt. 38.9 ppm of this trace mineral is apparently enough to change the entire appearance of the salt.
- Magnesium: This is another essential element that is present in very small amounts in Himalayan salt but has beneficial effects on the human body. It is very good for metabolism and also for bone formation.
- Calcium: This salt contains very little calcium. Calcium is known for its bone benefits.
- Zinc: Another element found in Himalayan salt is zinc. It is present in every cell of the body. It helps the immune system fight against harmful bacteria.
- Phosphorus: Another trace element is phosphorus that helps maintain the tissues and cells in the body.
- Apart from all these elements, Himalayan salt contains trace amounts of hydrogen, boron, nitrogen, fluoride, aluminum, sulfur, chromium, manganese, cobalt, nickel, selenium, bromine, cadmium, molybdenum, and so on.
So, what do these minerals do?
- Electrolyte balance: Electrolytes are ions that help carry electrical impulses from cell to cell. In its natural form, Himalayan salt contains sodium, chloride, potassium, magnesium, phosphate and sulfate – all electrolytes! You can drink a small amount of Himalayan salt ’tongue’ early in the morning to get the most out of its mineral content.
- Digestive aid: The minerals in edible pink salt are said to aid digestion. They may be able to help your body productively use the food and nutrients you take in every day.
- Soothe Aches and Pains: If you have Himalayan pink salt, you should know that its uses are not just limited to the kitchen! Draw a bath of natural bath salts with this and let it soak for a refreshing experience.
It is said that such a mineral bath can be cleansing and detoxifying while helping your skin absorb minerals for nourishment. The mineral content can also help with bloating and water retention.
- Zuiver de lucht: Verward hoe een eenvoudig steenzout in staat kan zijn tot luchtzuivering? Het is mogelijk als je het goed doet! In de vorm van de Himalaya-mineraalzoutlamp, beweren velen dat Himalayazout de lucht kan zuiveren door het vrijkomen van negatieve ionen wanneer de lampen worden ingeschakeld. De vrijgekomen ionen worden vaak “vitamines van de lucht” genoemd vanwege de overvloed aan gezondheidsvoordelen die ze bieden.
- Energize: Part of it may be due to the minerals, and part of this effect is attributed to the origin and history of pink Himalayan salt . This salt originated billions of years ago from the ancient sea and oceans. These dried up over time, leaving deposits of Himalayan salt as part of the Khewra salt mines today.
Since salt has been around since ancient times, it would have absorbed the vibrational energy of the sun and earth. Many people claim that a pinch of this salt gives them a boost and an energized feeling.
The ultimate question: How do you get the most out of this mineral goodness?
Now that you know all the interesting facts about Himalayan pink salt minerals, you’ll want to make the most of them! Be careful not to exceed the recommended daily amount while consuming the salt.
- You can sprinkle it on your food, marinate your food with it, or cook your food yourself over blocks of Himalayan salt .
- Buy Himalayan Salt Lamps for their respiratory and healing benefits, and breathe fresher air. Bathe in the salt for a nourishing, refreshing experience.
- Use it as a cellulite scrub to smooth out your skin over time.
- Use it with essential oils to prevent sweating – a great replacement for chemical deodorants!
- Drink a small amount of diluted solution early in the morning to maintain your energy levels throughout the day.
- Give salt lick blocks to your pets – they deserve love too, and all the essential minerals you have for yourself!
In short, benefits of pink Himalayan salt are not to be underestimated. This rare, unadulterated form of rock salt reaches you without any artificial processing or addition. Appreciate this gift that nature has to offer by making the most of it!