We all know how important salt is for the proper functioning of vital body organs. Ironically, we are misled about many products and their benefits. Salt is one of them. Flip through any health magazine and you’ll be amazed at the variety of salts available and the numerous health benefits each of them claims to possess.
Walk between the aisles of the supermarket and you will be amazed by a huge variety of salts neatly lined up on the shelves.
The markets are full of different kinds of salts. It is up to the consumers to know each salt in detail before using it for their daily use. Anything that looks pure white and doesn’t turn cakey doesn’t qualify for a good salt.
Good salt is packed with all the beneficial nutrients needed for the human body. It reaches its consumers in its purest and most natural form.
Let’s talk about the two salts that are currently dominating the markets. Bamboo salt and Himalayan salt .
Bamboo salt vs Himalayan salt
Both salts are old and have been used for a long time. It would not be wrong to say that they have been reintroduced to modern humans, as their benefits have long been forgotten.
What is Bamboo Salt?
Bamboo salt dates back 1,000 years. It was developed in Korea by Doctor Kim II Hoon in collaboration with the monks. Since then, bamboo salt has been used as a folk remedy for various diseases.
Bamboo salt is made by putting sea salt in bamboo boxes with three years of growth.
What is Himalayan Salt?
Pink Himalayan salt is also sea salt but in a different form. It is extracted by hand from the salt mines at the foot of the great Himalayas. These mountains are located in Punjab, a province of Pakistan.
The salt mines in the Himalayas are the result of massive evaporation from the sea that took place millions of years ago. For millions of years, this salt was protected by mountain layers. This makes Himalayan salt the purest salt available on land.
Interestingly, both salts are obtained through very unique procedures.
Bamboo salt, also called Jukyeom, is filled in the bamboo boxes. These cases are then sealed with yellow clay rich in minerals. The bamboo boxes are then placed in metal boxes and heated in an oven fired by pine wood. The process takes about 10 hours and the required temperature ranges from 1000c to 1300c.
The entire process is repeated 3, 6 or 9 times, making the salt more effective medically. In ancient times, this process was only done twice, but research has shown that wearing it more often increases its effectiveness. The high temperature multiple firing helps to better meld nutrients from the bamboo and yellow clay and helps remove the impurities from the sea salt.
The salt’s medical efficacy reaches its peak when it undergoes the process 9 times. After this, when roasted, it begins to lose its effectiveness. At its peak, the bamboo salt is called the purple bamboo salt because of the purple hue it acquires from high-temperature roasting.
The Himalayan salt is extracted by hand from the khewra salt mines . No explosives are used in the process, so the salt remains pure. The extraction procedure follows the doom-and-pillar technique so that no damage is done to the salt mines.
The large chunks of Himalayan salt are cut, shaped and ground as needed.
Appearance and nutritional profile
Scientific research has shown that bamboo salt contains more than 70 trace elements. The reason behind bamboo salt’s enriched nutritional profile is the leaching of minerals from the bamboo trunks, yellow clay, and pinewood resin.
The main components of bamboo salt are calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, manganese, copper, potassium and zinc. At the same time, it is rich in sulfur due to the bamboo trunk. This makes bamboo salt a highly alkaline food compared to all other acidic salts. This also makes Bamboo Salt a great neutralizer.
Another interesting fact about bamboo salt is that it manifests the energy of the five basic elements of the raw materials and the roasting process it undergoes. The details of the elements are:
Yellow clay = soil
Metal tray= Metal
Sea salt = water
Bamboo and pine wood = wood
On the other hand, the Himalayan salt is labeled as the miracle salt because of the plethora of health benefits it holds. The Himalayan salt is known to contain as many as 84 minerals and trace elements.
These minerals give this Himalayan salt its unique pink and orange hues. The pink salt is said to have the perfect balance of sodium and potassium that complements the proper functioning of the body organs.
Benefits of bamboo salt
- Bamboo salt generates hydrogen sulfide which acts as an antacid. It also has physiological effects that help reduce inflammation and hypertension.
- It improves insulin sensitivity.
- It is recommended to use bamboo salt for skin. It helps remove dead skin cells and treats skin problems like acne and freckles. For this reason, bamboo salt soap is widely used by beauty freaks.
- Bamboo salt is used to treat sore throat due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Bamboo salt detoxifies the body. It protects blood vessels and blood cells against bacteria and toxins. It also increases the body’s antibiotic resistance.
- Bamboo salt acts as a blood coagulant and helps fight bacterial infections.
Benefits of Himalayan salt
- Himalayan salt is known as the best air purifier. It cleans the air of dust, dander and pollutants.
- Himalayan salt balances the abundant positive ions in the environment by releasing negative ions. This creates a feeling of peace and serenity.
- Himalayan salt works as an excellent remedy for respiratory ailments.
- Himalayan Salt Elixir is an excellent way to make up for lost electrolytes from the body.
- Himalayan bath salts are best for the skin. It removes dead skin cells and gives the skin a healthy glow.
- Himalayan salt detoxifies the body from harmful toxins and rejuvenates and invigorates it with energy.
Difference in use
Ways to use bamboo salt
- Use bamboo salt to treat tooth decay and toothache.
- Apply bamboo salt to the scalp to treat hair loss.
- Use bamboo salt to reduce body odor.
- Use bamboo salt for nasal irrigation.
- Use bamboo salt to reduce joint pain.
- Use bamboo salt on the skin to reduce skin conditions.
Ways to use Himalayan salt
- Use Himalayan salt tongue to reap countless health benefits.
- Use Himalayan salt lamps to cleanse the air of pollutants.
- Use Himalayan salt baths to relax, detoxify and rejuvenate your body.
- Use Himalayan salt inhalers to treat respiratory ailments.
- Use Himalayan salt scrubs to get glowing skin.
- Himalayan salt plates can be used in the kitchen as cooking and serving dishes.
- Himalayan pink salt iodine content helps to eliminate goiter.
- Himalayan salt bricks and tiles are used in homes and spas to build salt walls and salt chambers .
Both salts are beneficial to human health. It is up to the consumer to study and choose the most suitable salt for daily use.