Having salt at your kitchen is a no-brainer unless you’re suffering from high blood pressure or something of the sort. After all, that’s what gives our food the savory taste we love!
There’s an even healthier option than regular table salt nowadays. Himalayan pink salt which is a rock salt extracted from the Punjab region of Pakistan. It is all the rage among fitness freaks, with its plethora of naturally occurring minerals and elements coexisting inside its crystals. Here are a few facts about Himalayan Salt minerals that will explain why it’s the hottest trend in the health industry nowadays.
All about the Mineral Goodness of Himalayan Salt – Benefits, Facts, and More:
Himalayan salt owes all the hype to its numerous constituent elements. It’s a popular fact that rock salt contains 84 different ‘minerals’. However, all the 84 elements of the natural salt are not minerals, like Hydrogen and Oxygen. This does not mean that the salt doesn’t deserve credit. There are a number of essential and trace minerals in Himalayan pink salt after all!
Himalayan Salt Mineral breakdown:
- Pink salt chemical formula is the same as that of table salt. It is chemicaly sodium chloride.
- Sodium and chloride themselves are essential for your body’s health. Since edible salt is mainly composed of these two, they’re an obvious – and large – part of Himalayan pink salt. Where table salt is about 99.9% sodium chloride, in Himalayan pink salt, there is more room for other minerals and elements.
- The rock salt is about 95.5% sodium chloride, and this composition may even go down to 87%, according to some texts. The remaining 4.5 to 13% of Himalayan is made up of different elements.
- Sodium is needed by the body for essential vital functions. However, don’t go overboard with salt consumption, since excess can be harmful.
- Sodium prevents low blood pressure. It maintains fluid balance and facilitates healthy functioning of muscles and nerves.
So, what’s the Remaining 13%?
- Iodine: Himalayan salt contains naturally occurring iodine. This means it doesn’t need to be treated artificially with iodine, as it is the case with table salt. Iodine is essential for the production of thyroid hormones by the thyroid gland. These hormones regulate important bodily functions.
A deficiency of iodine can cause impaired production of these essential hormones. This can also lead to enlargement of the thyroid gland, known as goiter. In this way, this natural salt helps prevent goiter.
- Iron: Ever wondered how this rock salt gets its unique orange-pink color? It’s all thanks to the traces of iron present in the salt. 38.9 ppm of this trace mineral is apparently enough to change the entire appearance of the salt!
- Other Himalayan pink salt minerals: Himalayan Pink Salt is said to contain 0.02% magnesium, 0.64% potassium, and 0.07 % calcium. All of these are essential minerals and elements for basic life functions.
So What Do These Minerals Do, to Sum It Up?
Electrolytes are basically ions which help carry electrical impulses from cell to cell. Himalayan Salt, in its natural form, contains sodium, chloride, potassium, magnesium, phosphate, and sulfate – all electrolytes! You can drink a small amount of Himalayan salt ‘sole’ early morning to make the most of its mineral content.
Help in Digestion:
The minerals in Himalayan pink salt are said to aid digestion. They could potentially help your body use up the foods and nutrients you take in on a daily basis in a productive way.
Soothe Aches and Pains:
When you have Himalayan pink salt, you should know that its use is not just limited to the kitchen! Draw a bath with this
natural bath salt, and soak in it for a refreshing experience.
It is said that such a mineral bath can be cleansing and detoxifying while helping your skin take up minerals for nourishment. The mineral content may also help with bloating and water retention.
Purify the Air:
Confused how a simple rock salt can be capable of air purification? It’s possible if you do it right! Many claims that Himalayan salt, in the form of the Himalayan mineral salt lamp, can purify the air through the release of negative ions when the lamps are switched on. The ions released are often called ‘vitamins of the air’, thanks to the plethora of health benefits they have to offer.
Part of it may be due to the minerals, and partly this effect is attributed to the origin and history of Himalayan pink salt. This salt originates from ancient sea and oceans billions of years ago. These dried up over the time, leaving deposits of Himalayan salt as part of the Khewra salt mines today.
Since the salt has been present since ancient times, it is said to have absorbed the vibrational energy of the Sun and the Earth. Many people claim that a pinch of this salt gives them a mood boost, and leaves them feeling energetic.
The Ultimate Question – How to Make the Most of this Mineral Goodness?
Now that you know all the interesting facts about Himalayan pink salt minerals, you must be wanting to make good use of it as much as possible! Just be careful not to go over the recommended daily intake while consuming the salt.
- You can sprinkle it over your food, or marinate your food with it, or cook your food itself over blocks of Himalayan salt.
- Buy Himalayan Salt Lamps for their respiratory and healing benefits, and breathe in fresher air. Bath in the salt for a nourishing, refreshing experience.
- Use it as a scrub over cellulite to smoothen out your skin over time.
- Use it with essential oils to prevent sweating – a great replacement for chemical deodorants!
- Drink a small amount of diluted solution early in the morning to keep your energy levels up throughout the day.
- Give blocks of salt to your pets to lick – they also deserve love, and all the essential minerals you’re having for yourself!
In conclusion, Himalayan Pink Salt benefits are not to be underestimated. This rare, unadulterated form of rock salt reaches you without undergoing any artificial machining or addition. Value this gift nature has to offer by using it to its full potential!