Introduction Of Epsom Salt And Himalayan Salt
Lately salt has become a topic of discussion because of its various uses and benefits that people are getting aware of with every passing day. Salt is indeed an important part of our daily diet. The availability of different kinds of salts has made it easy to choose the best salt for consumption. But that may also raise a lot of questions in your mind about different salts. A lot of people ask about the Himalayan salt and Epsom salt and their uses and benefits.
To know the difference between Epsom salt and Himalayan salt, it is necessary to know their origin. You will be amazed to know that Epsom salt is not salt, but a mineral. It has high levels of magnesium and sulfate. Besides, it contains oxygen as well. This mineral looks like salt that’s why it is named salt.
Whereas Himalayan rock salt, on the other hand, has sodium and chloride plus 82 other trace minerals, so we can say it is a salt (Himalayan salt); truly and scientifically. Now you must be thinking, what is the major difference between Epsom salt and Himalayan salt, and which one is a better choice for different purposes? Read along to know the answers to these questions.
Difference Between Epsom Salt And Himalayan Salt
There are many differences between Epsom salt and Himalayan salt. We will start with their origin and how they are obtained from their sources.
Epsom salt is a natural mineral first discovered in Epsom, Surrey which is a town located in England, in the 1800s. It is collected by boiling the mineral seawater from Epsom seashores with so much care to protect its crystalline form.
But these days due to the increased demand for Epsom salt, it is made by a chemical process. It is a compound of oxygen, magnesium, and sulfur and is chemically known as magnesium sulfate heptahydrate. So, by combining these three elements Epsom salt is made. As it is naturally obtained from the bitter saline spring of Epsom that is why it has a bitter taste. It has almost transparent crystals that resemble salt hence called Epsom salt.
It does not qualify to be a regular edible salt because of its chemical properties and bitter taste. It is mostly used for bathing and exfoliation purposes due to its soothing and exfoliating properties.
On the other hand, Himalayan salt is mined with hands in the form of large rocks from the salt deposits situated in Pakistan. It is considered the purest salt found on earth because of its unadulterated and chemical-free nature. Its compact crystalline structure and wellness properties make it very useful.
It is chemically akin to table salt but with an extra touch of trace minerals. These minerals give this salt an attractive light to dark pink colour. This is the pure edible salt that is used for seasoning meals.
Benefits Of Epsom Salt And Himalayan Salt
Let’s check out some main benefits of these two salts below and see which salt is better.
- It balances the basic water level in your body.
- Himalayan salt also balances the pH level of your body.
- Being a necessity of the human body it regulates the blood sugar level of your body.
- Himalayan salt improves your respiratory health.
- Prevents infection in your kidneys and urinary tract.
- It helps to relieve muscle cramps.
- Himalayan salt is also used for weight loss.
- A Himalayan salt bath helps detoxify the body.
- Epsom salt heals wounds and scars and also relieves the pain.
- It helps treat infections by drying out the pus from the boil.
- Today, it’s mostly added to hot baths and foot soaks to reduce stress.
- Epsom salt also reduces inflammation.
- It eases the tired muscles.
- It helps to flush toxins out of the body.
- It may help shed extra body fat.
- Epsom salt laxative pills can be taken to treat constipation.
Uses Of Himalayan Salt
This natural Himalayan salt can be used in various ways. Some most popular uses of the Himalayan salt are as follows:
- Unique décor pieces are made from Himalayan salt rocks such as pink salt lamps and tea light holders.
- Pink Salt lamps are used as air purifiers.
- Himalayan salt is used to add taste to your food providing many health benefits.
- Not only for human beings but it is also beneficial for animals. Himalayan salt licks help to grow animals’ teeth and bones.
- Himalayan bath salt is used for soothing dull muscles.
- Himalayan salt scrubs are used for the exfoliation of the skin.
- Himalayan salt can be used in the treatment of asthma.
- Himalayan salt blocks are used in the kitchen as cooking and serving plates. These blocks keep food warm or cold for a longer time.
Uses Of The Epsom Salt
- Mix water with Epsom salt and apply on splinters, if you have any on your body.
- If you are suffering from fungus-infected toenails just mix Epsom salt and water and soak your feet in it.
- Epsom salt is also used for detoxification and relaxation.
- Epsom salt is also used to relieve constipation.
- It enhances your beauty just apply Epsom salt with coconut oil to scrub down your body.
- Epsom salt can also be used to eliminate dead skin cells.
- Use Epsom salt for feet to treat cracks and dry skin. Simply soak your feet in Epsom saltwater and get amazing results.
- You can make your DIY volumizer by mixing Epsom salt into your conditioner.
- It is also used to get clean and sparkling tiles.
- Epsom salt is also used to prevent slugs.
- Mix Epsom salt with baby shampoo and get an effective hand wash.
- Epsom salt is also effective to wash your clothes.
- Epsom salt can also be used for the growth of plants as a fertilizer.
Can Epsom Salt Be Used Instead Of Himalayan Salt?
Epsom salt cannot be used as an edible salt but yes it can be taken as a medicine to treat constipation. Whereas, Himalayan pink salt is considered one of the best salts for human consumption.
Which Is The Better Option; Epsom Or Himalayan?
If you have a question, Can I use rock salt instead of Epsom salt? Then, the answer is yes. For oral consumption, definitely Himalayan pink salt but for taking a bath Epsom salt is a better option. Though, you can use Himalayan pink salt crystals as a bath salt as well. Himalayan salt mineral content makes it much better than many salts for consumption.
Is Table Salt As Good As Epsom Salt?
Epsom salt is a naturally occurring compound of magnesium and sulfate. Epsom salt is totally different from regular table salt and has a bitter taste that will make you feel like vomiting. So, for consumption table salt is better than Epsom salt but it cannot be used as a bath salt. Epsom salt is good for bathing.