Having salt in your kitchen is a no-brainer unless you have high blood pressure or something like that. After all, it’s what gives our food the savory taste we love!
Today there is an even healthier option than regular table salt, namely Himalayan rock salt. . It is a rock salt extracted from mines located in the Punjab region of Pakistan. It is all the rage among health enthusiasts, with its plethora of minerals and natural elements co-existing inside its crystals. Here are some facts about Himalayan Salt Minerals that will explain why it is the hottest trend in the health industry these days.
All About the Mineral Benefits of Himalayan Salt – Benefits, Facts and More
Himalayan salt owes all its popularity to its many constituent elements. It is a popular fact that rock salt contains 84 different « minerals ». However, not all of the 84 elements in natural salt are minerals, such as hydrogen and oxygen. That doesn’t mean this salt doesn’t deserve credit. There are several essential trace minerals in Pink Himalayan Salt after all!
Mineral Analysis of Himalayan Salt
- The chemical formula of pink salt is the same as that of table salt. Its chemical formula is NaCl-sodium chloride.
- Sodium and chloride themselves are essential to the health of your body. Since edible salt is mostly made up of these two elements, they are an obvious – and important – part of pink Himalayan salt. Where table salt contains around 99.9% sodium chloride, in pink Himalayan salt there is more room for other minerals and elements.
- Rock salt is approximately 98% sodium chloride. The remaining 2% of Himalayan salt is made up of different minerals and elements.
- Sodium is needed by the body for vital functions. However, do not overindulge in salt intake, as excess can be harmful.
- Sodium maintains water balance and facilitates the proper functioning of muscles and nerves.
So what is the remaining 2%?
- Himalayan pink salt is said to contain 0.1% magnesium, 0.28% potassium and 0.16% calcium. All of these are minerals and essential elements for basic life functions.
- Iodine: Himalayan salt contains natural iodine. This means that it does not need to be artificially treated with iodine, as is the case with table salt. Iodine is essential for the production of hormones by the thyroid gland. These hormones regulate important bodily functions.
Iodine deficiency can lead to impaired production of these essential hormones. It can also lead to an enlarged thyroid gland, known as goiter. In this way, this natural salt helps prevent goiter.
- Iron: Have you ever wondered how this rock salt gets its unique orange-pink color? All this thanks to the traces of iron present in the salt. 38.9 ppm of this trace element is apparently enough to change the appearance of the salt.
- Magnesium: This is another essential element which is present in Himalayan salt in trace amounts but has beneficial effects on the human body. It is very good for metabolism and also for bone formation.
- Calcium: This salt contains very little calcium. Calcium is well known for its benefits on the bones.
- Zinc: Another element found in Himalayan salt is zinc. It is present in every cell of the body. It helps the immune system to fight against harmful bacteria.
- Phosphorus: Another trace element is phosphorus which helps to maintain tissues and cells in the body.
- Apart from all these elements, Himalayan salt contains traces of hydrogen, boron, nitrogen, fluoride, aluminum, sulfur, chromium, manganese, cobalt, nickel, selenium, bromine, cadmium, molybdenum, etc.
So what do these minerals do?
- Balancing electrolytes: Electrolytes are ions that help carry electrical impulses from cell to cell. In its natural form, Himalayan salt contains sodium, chloride, potassium, magnesium, phosphate and sulfate – all electrolytes! You can drink a small amount of Himalayan salt ‘sole’ early in the morning to get the most out of its mineral content.
- Digestion Aid: The minerals in edible pink salt are said to aid digestion. They could potentially help your body use the foods and nutrients you consume daily productively.
- Soothe aches and pains: When you have Himalayan pink salt, you should know that its use is not limited to cooking! Draw a bath with this natural bath salt and soak it for a refreshing experience.
It is said that such a mineral bath can be cleansing and detoxifying while helping your skin absorb minerals for nourishment. The mineral content can also help with bloating and water retention.
- Purify the air: Not sure how a simple rock salt can be able to purify the air? It is possible if you do it right! In the form of the Himalayan mineral salt lamp, many people claim that Himalayan salt can purify the air by releasing negative ions when the lamps are turned on. The released ions are often referred to as “air vitamins” thanks to the plethora of health benefits they offer.
- Energize: Part may be due to minerals, and part of this effect is attributed to the origin and history of Himalayan pink salt . This salt comes from ancient seas and oceans billions of years ago. These dried up over time, leaving Himalayan salt deposits as part of the Khewra Salt Mines today.
Since salt has been present since ancient times, it is said to have absorbed the vibrational energy of the Sun and the Earth. Many people claim that a pinch of this salt gives them a boost and makes them energetic.
The ultimate question – How do you get the most out of this mineral goodness?
Now that you know all the interesting facts about the minerals in Himalayan pink salt, you must want to put it to good use as much as possible! Just be careful not to exceed the recommended daily allowance when consuming salt.
- You can sprinkle it on your food, marinate your food with it, or cook your food itself on Himalayan salt blocks .
- Buy Himalayan salt lamps for their respiratory and healing benefits, and breathe fresher air. Bath in salt for a nourishing and refreshing experience.
- Use it as a cellulite scrub to smooth your skin over time.
- Use it with essential oils to prevent sweating – a great substitute for chemical deodorants!
- Drink a small amount of the diluted solution early in the morning to maintain your energy level throughout the day.
- Give your pets salt licks – they deserve love too and all the essential minerals you have for yourself!
In conclusion, the benefits of pink Himalayan salt are not to be underestimated. This rare and pure form of rock salt comes to you without undergoing any machining or artificial addition. Value this gift that nature has to offer by using it to its full potential!