Having salt in your kitchen is a no-brainer unless you suffer from high blood pressure or something of the sort. After all, that’s what gives our food the savory flavor we love!
There is an even healthier option than regular table salt today, which is Himalayan rock salt . . It is a rock salt extracted from mines located in the Punjab region of Pakistan. It is all the rage among health enthusiasts, with its plethora of minerals and natural elements coexisting within its crystals. Here are some facts about Himalayan Salt Minerals that will explain why it is the hottest trend in the health industry today.
All about the mineral benefits of Himalayan salt: benefits, facts and more
Himalayan salt owes all the hype to its numerous constituent elements. It is a popular fact that rock salt contains 84 different ‘minerals’. However, the 84 elements in natural salt are not minerals, like hydrogen and oxygen. This does not mean that this salt does not deserve credit. There are several essential trace elements in Himalayan Pink Salt after all !
Himalayan Salt Mineral Analysis
- The chemical formula of pink salt is the same as that of table salt. Its chemical formula is NaCl-sodium chloride.
- Sodium and chloride are essential for the health of your body. Since edible salt is mainly made up of these two, they are an obvious and large part of Himalayan pink salt. While table salt is approximately 99.9% sodium chloride, in Himalayan pink salt there is more room for other minerals and elements.
- Rock salt is approximately 98% sodium chloride. The remaining 2% of Himalayan salt is made up of different minerals and elements.
- The body needs sodium for vital functions. However, do not overdo it with salt intake, as excess can be harmful.
- Sodium maintains fluid balance and promotes healthy muscle and nerve function.
So what is the remaining 2%?
- Himalayan pink salt is said to contain 0.1% magnesium, 0.28% potassium, and 0.16% calcium. All of these are minerals and elements essential for the basic functions of life.
- Iodine: Himalayan salt contains natural iodine. This means that it does not need to be artificially treated with iodine, as is the case with table salt. Iodine is essential for the production of hormones by the thyroid gland. These hormones regulate important bodily functions.
An iodine deficiency can cause poor production of these essential hormones. This can also lead to enlargement of the thyroid gland, known as a goiter. In this way, this natural salt helps prevent goiter.
- Iron: Ever wonder how this rock salt gets its unique orange-pink color? It’s all thanks to the traces of iron present in the salt. Apparently 38.9 ppm of this trace mineral is enough to change the entire appearance of the salt.
- Magnesium: This is another essential element that is present in Himalayan salt in trace amounts but has beneficial effects on the human body. It is very good for metabolism and also for bone formation.
- Calcium: This salt contains very little amount of calcium. Calcium is well known for its bone benefits.
- Zinc: Another element found in Himalayan salt is zinc. It is present in every cell of the body. Helps the immune system fight against harmful bacteria.
- Phosphorus: Another trace element is phosphorus that helps maintain the tissues and cells of the body.
- Apart from all these elements, Himalayan salt contains traces of Hydrogen, Boron, Nitrogen, Fluoride, Aluminum, Sulfur, Chromium, Manganese, Cobalt, Nickel, Selenium, Bromine, Cadmium, Molybdenum, etc.
So what do these minerals do?
- Electrolyte Balance: Electrolytes are ions that help carry electrical impulses from one cell to another. In its natural form, Himalayan salt contains sodium, chloride, potassium, magnesium, phosphate, and sulfate—all electrolytes! You can drink a small amount of ‘sole’ Himalayan salt first thing in the morning to make the most of its mineral content.
- Aids Digestion: The minerals in edible pink salt are said to aid digestion. Potentially, they could help your body use the food and nutrients you eat every day in productive ways.
- Soothe aches and pains: When you have pink Himalayan salt, you should know that its use is not just limited to cooking! Draw a bath with this natural bath salt and soak in it for a refreshing experience.
Such a mineral bath is said to cleanse and detoxify while helping the skin absorb minerals for nourishment. The mineral content can also help with swelling and fluid retention.
- Purifies the air: Confused how a simple rock salt can purify the air? It is possible if you do it right! In the form of a Himalayan mineral salt lamp, many claim that Himalayan salt can purify the air by releasing negative ions when the lamps are lit. The ions released are often referred to as «air vitamins» thanks to the myriad of health benefits they offer.
- Energize: Partly this may be due to the minerals, and partly this effect is attributed to the origin and history of Himalayan pink salt. . This salt originates from the ancient seas and oceans billions of years ago. These dried up over time, leaving Himalayan salt deposits as part of the Khewra Salt Mines today.
Since salt has been around since ancient times, it is said to have absorbed the vibrational energy of the Sun and Earth. Many people claim that a pinch of this salt gives them a mood boost and leaves them feeling energized.
The last question: how do you get the most out of this mineral goodness?
Now that you know all the interesting facts about Himalayan pink salt minerals, you should want to put them to good use as much as possible! Just be careful not to exceed the recommended daily intake while consuming the salt.
- You can sprinkle it on your food, marinate your food with it, or cook your own food on Himalayan salt blocks .
- Buy Himalayan salt lamps for their respiratory and healing benefits, and breathe fresher air. Bathe in the salt for a nourishing and refreshing experience.
- Use as a scrub on cellulite to smooth your skin over time.
- Use with essential oils to prevent sweating – a great replacement for chemical deodorants!
- Drink a small amount of the diluted solution early in the morning to maintain your energy levels throughout the day.
- Give salt blocks to lick your pets – they deserve love too and all the essential minerals you have for yourself!
In conclusion, the benefits of Himalayan pink salt should not be underestimated. This rare and unadulterated form of rock salt comes to you without undergoing any machining or artificial additions. Value this gift that nature has to offer by using it to its full potential.